Precondition for admission to the Educational Program
- A person has the right to study on the educational program, who passed the united national exams in accordance with the order established by the order of the Minister of Education and Science of Georgia and on the basis of the ranking points entrants obtained the right to enroll in the university.
- Study is permissible without passing united national exams on educational programs in accordance with the rule established by the legislation.
- The right to study on the program can be obtained by the internal mobility of Ltd Guram Tavartkiladze Tbilisi Teaching University's other faculty or other higher education institution bachelor program student on the basis of external mobility in compliance with the requirements of regulation of Georgian legislation and Ltd GNTU's educational process.
Educational Program Objectives
The aim of the educational program corresponds to the mission, development strategy of Ltd Guram Tavartkiladze Tbilisi Teaching University. The program envisages the modern market requirements of the labour market, specifically - media outlet and employer. The purpose of the program is to promote the establishment of a genuine citizen with fluent intellectual, universal ideals. The program aims to prepare a competent journalist, news reporter, who will be highly professional and offer higher professional level by offering the quality education in line with modern standards. In order to achieve this goal the graduate will develop field competences:
- description of the main provisions of journalism theory, the functions of functioning of the field and the establishment of the principles, the list of ethical and legal aspects, Characterization of important stages of journalism history, modern trends in contemporary media development, review of its international aspects, description of a single media system and its individual components.Field knowledge, namely:
- Field skills, namely: to select, process and publish relevant topic, prepare media products for print, broadcast and new media using modern technologies, Adequate work with the respondents and other sources, use studio editing, encoding and photomontage programs, planning and organizing studio and outdoor filming / recording, using media legal and ethical regulations.
- The educational program should ensure the development of general competences for the field of journalism, in particular: understanding, comprehending, analyzing, evaluating and drawing conclusions of the media and other content; To provide written and oral communication with respondents, colleagues, small groups; Evaluate your knowledge and determine the needs of further learning; Assess the role of journalism in shaping of public opinion. The modules and content of the educational program, the teaching / evaluation methods and credits provide the achievement of the goals and learning outcomes. The program has all the necessary prerequisites for implementing the set goals: Human, material and information resources. The academic / invited staff, students and graduates were involved in the planning and development of the educational program, employment spheres. The program will prepare the bachelor student to continue learning in the Master’s Program. The goals of the educational program are realistic and achievable, public and accessible.
Educational Program Study Outcomes
The educational program prepares competent and modern professionals to meet the needs and problems that are easily solved in their sphere and to achieve the goals and objectives set out. Accordingly, the Bachelor holds the following competences:
Conclusion making skills
Bachelor should be able to in the field of media:
- Conduct an overview of research work;
- Media and other types of text comprehension, Comparison, evaluation and release of verbal and visual information;
- Formulating practical recommendations;
- Justify its own version of the problem solving;
- Evaluation of current events and formation of reasoned conclusions;
- Evaluate media environment and make argumentative conclusions;
- Collection, generalization and explanation of the data for media.
- Formulate the existing problem, its critical review and determination of the solution of the problem;
- Collection generlization and definition of date characterized of media.
Bachelor should be able to:
- Communicating skills with oral, written and personal computer systems with colleagues and respondents;
- To present a presentation to the professional and other small groups;
- Participation in the discussion, including talk show;
- Speak native and foreign languages, Including the professional level and expression of the opinion;
- Ask questions freely at press conferences, briefings, in relation to personal communication with the respondent.
Bachelor will be able to:
- Consistent and multilateral assessment of their learning process, determination of further learning needs;
- To acquire such skills that are necessary to continue in the master's program;
- Change journalism specialization in the first stage of higher education.
- The bachelor will have the values based on the ideals of democracy and humanism;
- The bachelor will correctly perceive and evaluate the role of journalism in forming the social position of the individual citizen, the interests, the taste and motivation;
- Bachelor recognizes the importance of professional standards and journalistic ethics.
Knowledge and awareness
- According to the modern standards of higher education, the graduate describes the basic aspects of modern knowledge characteristic of general education journalism;
- Express the news in the field of mass communication, development trends;
- Listing the main theories of journalism, describes the history of the field and international experience;
- Can demonstrate the wide knowledge of the main fields of journalism;
- Learn about legal and ethical aspects of journalism;
- Describes the main provisions, functions, principles of journalism theory; correctly defines the role of journalism as a communication and information system in the political, social and cultural and educational life of the society.
Use of knowledge in practice
Bachelor should be able to:
- Use of existing conditions for realization of personal resources and development of creative skills;
- Conduct independent journalistic activities for preparation of broadcasting, print and new media products;
- Preparation of a competitive media product (according to specific topics that have been studied in a creative workshop) to prepare for internal labor market work;
- Before the start of the work in the field of responsibility identification of priorities, determination of sequencing;
- Identifying an actual topic through selection, development of the main idea of the topic; Determining the purpose of practical work and establishing tasks; Logically and utilize the purpose and methodology;
- Search and process all sources through journalistic verification methods;
- Proper selection of target audience;
- Search and use relevant keyword, illustrative and accompanying visual, textual, audio and video material;
- Selection and use of appropriate forms and expression forms and methods in journalism;
- The use of the main program of studio installation (Adobe Premiere Pro).
- Use of the elements of the program PageMaker and Photoshop;
- Studio and outdoor filming ensuring the initial professional knowledge required by the operator;
- Identify the problem and select the option of optimal road for solving it;
- Use of norms and regulations provided by the media legislation.
Description of the Program Modules
Within the framework of the educational program, learning is undertaken by the main requirements of the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS). The learning process is based on the modular teaching principles and is aimed at enhancing the level of creative acquisition and self-education through the selection of training courses and individualization of the learning process within the specific educational program. The educational program consists of 4 modules and implies division of study courses in the following principle:
Basic Study Courses Module - Includes 36 credits, the module includes both obligatory (24 credits) and optional (12 credits) study courses. The main goal of study courses is to introduce the main directions and concepts of social sciences, presenting the presentation on modern achievements in the field of science, acquiring general skills, expansion of skills, acquiring critical analysis skills, evaluation and general skills.
Foreign Language Module – within the framework of the Bachelor Program Students will learn foreign language in 4 semesters which is intended for 24 credits. Apart from this, foreign language, beginners and free components are provided with 6 credits.
Specialty Study Course Module - Module is provided for 126 credits and consists of:
Specialty Study Course Module - 126 credits, 96 are mandatory and 30 credits are optional.
The study of compulsory disciplines of the specialty aims at acquiring fundamental principles, basic theories and concepts in journalism; obtaining system knowledge in the field; Working with sources, processing and classifying empirical material; Multilateral and objective analysis and generalization of facts and events; General, basic knowledge formation of Journalism as the Public activities; To prepare the necessary and compulsory practical skills for journalists, Which is carried out in the preparation of broadcasting and printed products within the relevant subjects as well as in masterful workshops in the field of journalistic masterpiece, which implies the work of leading and experienced practitioner journalists based on the principles of studio activity in a small group of students.
The Group of Selective Disciplines aims to offer students a free course of study courses that will enhance and / or give additional knowledge in the field of media communications and practical journalism.
Free Credits Module - 30 credits. Bachelor program "Journalism" is a free credit module aimed at studying conterminous or different disciplines. The student can make himself a set of disciplines from any university's undergraduate program according to their own needs and interests.
Professional practice - 12 credits. Professional practice of undergraduate program aims to take the theoretical knowledge into practice within the learning process. The student will undergo professional practice at the university base (in training radio and television studios) and on the basis of the memorandums in the following media organization: Information portals “kvira”, ”Mediasiti”, “Aipresi”, "Reporter", Medianews”, Magazines: "Liberal", "Arsenal", Newspapers "Batumelebi" (Electronic Newspaper "Netgazeti"),"Georgian words, literature, art, politics"TV Company "Georgian Public Broadcaster", "TV First", "Georgian TV", "Iberia", "Trialeti", Radio Company FM107.9, Media Organizations "BusinessMedia Georgia", Studio "Monitor,"CEC Press Center.
Bachelor's Thesis - 12 credits. Bachelor's Degree Qualification Examination: The student completes an educational program with the bachelor's thesis, which demonstrates the depth of knowledge acquired by the student, the ability to understand, generalize, conclude, and make recommendations. Bachelor's work does not exclude a creative-practical component, where the student is able to move the theoretical knowledge into practice.
Qualification to be granted
After obtaining the number of credits (240 credits) established by the educational program, the graduate is conferred with the Qualification / Academic Degree: Bachelor of Social Sciences in Journalism. The graduate will also get the bilingual supplement to the diploma; The Diploma Supplement follows the model developed by the European Commission, European council and UNESCO/ CEPES.
Theoretical knowledge acquired in the learning process, vision and approaches to the profession, acquired practical skills and elementary research experience provide the basis that the Bachelor of Social Science in Journalism can satisfy demands in media outlets(In a newspaper, magazine, television company, radio company, news agency, media holding, online edition) and other non-governmental and state organizations, and they can hold the positions of Journalist / correspondent / reporter, ordinary editor, low-level media manager, producer, press service specialist, editing, operator.